Sunday, April 2, 2017

Master Yun: Celebrationism

Celebrationism

The unifying quality of my art is that it celebrates all things worth celebrating, from health to wealth, and from relationships to prosperity. I focus on the positive energies and elements that I can draw on such as love, joy, peace and hope, all of which are subject matters that my art symbolizes. To that end, may I be so bold as to coin the term Celebrationism as a movement that I would like my art to be celebrated upon.




The Oxford dictionary defines celebration as 'the action of acknowledging an important day or event'. To me, celebration also comes in the form of the professed mantras that I include in my paintings. Instead of writing Tang Dynasty poems like many Chinese painters do, I write lines that proclaim prosperity, hope and wishes, and happiness in life. Unlike traditionalistic thinking Chinese painters who write Tang poems that express feelings and emotions of the ancient, I feel that a modern Chinese like myself should be more progressive. I should take pride in and have the confidence to express who I am, and where I am, now. Thus, I write mantras expressing wishes of the contemporary, for the people who like me, at the present.

Besides, Tang poetry are always very sad and pessimistic. I want my art to focus on the positive.

Most of my art also glow in the dark. This intended feature is a meditated manifestation of celebration in brightness as well as in darkness. Celebration when there is an outcome, and celebration just as well when in darkness. Because I believe that even when hope is seemingly at its dimmest, you need to believe that it's still there, just like you know that there are stars even in daylight, showing signs from heaven that you cannot fully comprehend.
 




So, celebrate, celebrate as though your dreams of last night has arrived. Celebrate, celebrate strongly and boldly, like that expressed in my strokes. Celebrate, celebrate as though we have no fear of our enemies, not even from their jealousy. Celebrate like the planets orbiting around the sun, and the sun around the stars, and our galaxy dancing amongst galaxies.

For, the relationship between celebration and our dreams is like our Earth's movements— revolution and rotation (公转与自转). We must dream and we must celebrate, then our dreams will come true. We must celebrate more and dream more, then there will be more reasons for more celebrations.
 



Without revolution (公转), the stars cannot rotate (自转). Without rotation (自转), there is insufficient energy created to revolve (公转).

So, dream and celebrate. Celebrate and dream. They feed on each other, and they energize each other. So celebrate with me, celebrate my art of celebrationism. It is not just about the good that appears and happens at day break, but also about the hopes and dreams in pitch darkness.

-- Master Yun Long Zi

No comments:

Post a Comment